Old metal fillings (also known as amalgam fillings) are made of a combination of mercury, tin, copper, silver and other trace metals. While some dentists still use them, there’s a much safer and more aesthetically pleasing alternative. We’re talking about tooth colored fillings. If you suspect you may have dental cavities, fear not! The dentists at BK Dental in Wood Dale or Evanston, IL can help to restore your teeth seamlessly with tooth colored fillings.
Below we’ll discuss everything you’ve ever wanted to know about this modern method of filling cavities.
What Are Tooth Colored Fillings?
Tooth colored fillings are designed to give you all the benefits of a filling without calling attention to themselves in the way that their amalgam-made counterparts can. When a tooth is damaged by tooth decay, a filling is important in holding the tooth together and maintaining its structure and integrity so that it can fulfil its function. But just because a filling is necessary doesn’t mean that it should be detrimental to your mouth’s appearance or oral health.
Tooth colored fillings (also known as composite fillings or white fillings) are extremely durable. They are typically made out of a composite resin which provides the strength you need to ensure that your tooth maintains its integrity combined with the malleability to guarantee a perfect fit. Sometimes, tooth colored fillings are also made using ceramics. While many refer to these fillings as white fillings, this may be misleading. Don’t worry, your composite fillings won’t be pure brilliant white. This would likely cause them to stand out almost as much as metal amalgam fillings. Our skilled and experienced team of dentists will take the time to ensure that your fillings are a perfect match with the exact color of your teeth.
The ability to do a complete custom color match results in a much more natural look for your teeth, especially when compared to older metal. What’s more, our dental team’s skill and experience will help to ensure that the process is as simple, efficient and painless as possible.
How does it work?
While a lot of research has gone into the creation of tooth colored fillings, the actual process of applying them is relatively simple.
Firstly, your dentist will numb the tooth, gum and jaw to ensure that the process is as comfortable as possible for you. Next, your dentist cleans the tooth and removes any signs of decay before placing the new filling.
Using specially colored lights, the resin is cured to your teeth to ensure a tight bond. This bond is important as it helps the filling to maintain the structure and integrity of the tooth, preventing cracks and fractures.
Your dentist then shapes and polishes the composite resin to ensure a comfortable fit and to limit the possibility of staining and deterioration. In some cases, a clear plastic coating may also be placed over the filling to provide a layer of protection against discoloration or staining from coffee, tea, cigarettes and food.
Once applied, your tooth colored fillings are virtually impossible to detect against your teeth.
What Are The Benefits of Tooth Colored Fillings?
There are many reasons why tooth colored fillings are so popular among our clientele. When you opt for these instead of amalgam fillings the benefits speak for themselves
- Confidence: Tooth-colored fillings help to restore a beautiful, cavity free appearance to your teeth. You can smile as widely as you like with confidence, safe in the knowledge that your teeth look natural and metal-free.
- Stronger: Composite resin fillings are actually stronger than amalgam fillings so you’re less likely to have to worry about breaks and cracks.
- Safer: Composite fillings are also safer than amalgam fillings. The trouble with amalgam fillings is that they tend to expand and contract when the temperature in your mouth fluctuates. The expansion when you sip your coffee or the contraction when you eat an ice cream can put pressure on the tooth, causing tiny cracks and eventual breakage. The resin in tooth-colored fillings does not expand or contract, making them safer for your teeth.
- Durable: Tooth colored fillings are strong, durable and long-lasting so that you won’t have to worry about replacing them for many years.
- No discoloration: Over a period of years, metal fillings can add a grayish discoloration to the teeth in which they are placed. Tooth-colored fillings are a much better option for treating cavities, as they don’t discolor your teeth.
- They look great: Tooth-colored fillings are more aesthetically pleasing than metal ones. Because they’re matched to your existing tooth color, they look seamless and blend in perfectly with the rest of your mouth.
- Keep more of your tooth: Unlike traditional metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings very little of the tooth to be removed before placement. This goes even further in maintaining the integrity of the tooth and minimizing the risk of future breakage.
Can Tooth Colored Fillings Only Be Used For New Dental Work?
By no means. Speak to a member of our team if you would like your old metal amalgam fillings to be replaced with pristine new tooth colored fillings.
Can I get Tooth Colored Fillings If I’m Planning To Get My Teeth Whitened?
Absolutely! While we meticulously match the shade of the filling to your existing tooth color, if you have recently received our teeth whitening services or you plan on getting your teeth whitened, you don’t have to worry about by getting tooth colored fillings. These have been engineered to blend in very well with your newly whitened teeth.
How Long Do Tooth Colored Fillings Last?
When properly looked after, tooth colored fillings can last as long as 15 years. Ask your dentist how best to take care of your tooth colored fillings through your dental hygiene regimen.
Why Choose BK Dental?
We work tirelessly to ensure the highest quality solutions for all of your dental needs. While we have an emphasis on cosmetic and restorative dentistry we are also a thriving general practice. Our decades of experience and passion for providing a superior service for our patients make us perfectly placed to help our patients to achieve optimal dental health and beauty.
But don’t take our word for it. Take a moment to look at some of our patient reviews. When you choose BK Dental for all of your general, cosmetic, restorative and orthodontic dentistry, you know your teeth are in the safest possible hands.
Schedule An Appointment Today
All of us at BK Dental in Evanston & Wood Dale look forward to working with you and your family. Schedule an appointment with us today to keep all of your smiles pretty and beautiful! Ready for your next dental appointment? Call BK Dental today at (630) 766-2223.